Domestic Students:

Midwestern State University (MSU) Business Office has contracted with Maximus, Inc., A General Dynamics Company, to provide both the electronic and paper 1098-Ts. If you do not retrieve your 1098-T electronically, one will be mailed by January 31st.

The Business Office will send an email notifying eligible students when they may begin retrieving 1098-Ts from the Maximus website.

How to retrieve your 1098-T electronically:

  • Launch a web browser and go to
  • Click the “First Time Students” Button.
  • Enter your full First and Last names and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number.
  • Click Submit.
  • If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.

Remember, by acknowledging that you are receiving this form electronically, a hard copy will not be mailed to you. However, you can go to the website as often as needed to retrieve a copy.

International Students

Effective for tax year 2014, the Business Office will no longer provide 1098-T tax forms to international students. All information needed for current and previous tax years is now available online at  Log in to the site and click on the ‘View Activity’ button.  The next page allows you to choose specific semesters that you need.  You can print each semester included in the tax year that you need to submit to your tax preparer.  For just payment information, click on ‘My Account’ and select ‘Payment History’.  Now that all information is available online, the MSU Business Office will no longer email tax statements. 

Possible Reasons Why 1098-T Not Issued

You may not have been issued a 1098-T for various reasons. A 1098-T is not required to be filed with your return; it is informational. A statement of account may be used in lieu of a 1098-T to calculate a potential tax credit.

Below are common examples of why a student may not receive a 1098-T.

  • You are an international student. Midwestern State University is not required to furnish a 1098-T form to international students.
  • You are a non-credit student. MSU is not required to furnish a 1098-T form for students who did not earn academic credit. Non-Credit courses and certificate programs do not constitute eligible academic credit for the 1098-T.
  • You do not have a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) on file with Midwestern State University. MSU cannot produce a 1098-T form without this information. TIN information must be provided to the Business Office.
  • You had no billed amounts in the current tax year. For example, if you graduated in Spring 2015, you may have registered and had charges post to your account in November or December of 2014. Thus, those amounts were reported on the 2014 1098-T form. MSU can provide a statement of account in lieu of a 1098-T form to calculate a potential tax credit for 2015.
  • You do not have a current mailing address on file with Midwestern State University. MSU cannot produce a 1098-T form without this information.

Additional Information

The 1098-T form reports tuition charged and financial aid awarded to students enrolled in courses during the calendar year for which they receive academic credit. The information reported on a 1098-T form helps students evaluate their eligibility for certain federal tax benefits.

In accordance with Internal Revenue Service requirements, MSU reports amounts billed during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related fees. The amounts reported on the 1098-T form may differ from the amounts relevant for claiming any tax benefits. For information regarding filing your tax return, tax benefits for education and tax credits or deductions relating to your 1098-T form, please consult a tax professional. MSU Business Office cannot provide individual tax advice.

Other helpful information, including IRS Publication 970 – Tax Benefits for Education, can be accessed at or by calling the IRS at (800) 829-1040.