The MSU Veterans Affairs team is proud to serve our veterans and VA education benefit recipients at Midwestern State University. We recognize the service and sacrifice of our veterans and their families, and we are here to assist them in navigating and utilizing educational benefits as well as engaging with the MSU campus and community.

Getting Started:

New to MSU? Check out our new student guide to VA benefits.

If you have used VA Education Benefits at another school but are new to MSU, you must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training form through the VA’s website. Visit to complete this step.

Active Duty? Refer to the Military Tuition Assistance webpage. 

MSU VA Forms:
  • Benefit Request Form (BRF) – students using Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, & 1606 must submit a BRF through MustangsLink each semester they wish to use benefits
  • First-time Hazlewood Application – student using Hazlewood for the first time at MSU must submit this form to our office in person or via email
  • Continuing Hazlewood Application – students who wish to continue using Hazlewood at MSU must submit this form each semester they wish to use benefits
  • Class Schedule Addition – students who add classes after the first day of the term must submit this form if they wish to use benefits toward the added classes
  • Parent Institution Letter Request – students attending another institution while enrolled at MSU should complete this request if they wish to use benefits toward the other institution’s courses 

Eligible VA Education Programs:

Federal Programs: Please see our Federal VA Education Benefits page.

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)
  • Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment Program (VR&E)
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill®
  • Chapter 35 – Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)
  • Edith Nourse Rogers STEM Scholarship

State Program: Please see our Hazlewood Act Exemption page.

Priority Deadline for Submission of BRF and/or Hazlewood Application AND all background documents:
5:00 PM on the first day of class of the semester for which you wish to use benefits

Please note: will continue to accept applications through the end of the respective semester; however, if you apply after our priority deadline, we cannot guarantee your benefits will be processed before the payment deadline. If you are unable to submit all required documents by the priority deadline, please make payment arrangements with the Business Office.

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not pay any benefits before the semester begins.

Chapters 31, 33, and Hazlewood benefits are paid directly to the school toward tuition and fees. Students are responsible for any remaining balance after benefits have been applied to the account. Please make payment arrangements with the MSU Business Office.

Chapters 30, 35, and 1606 monthly stipends are paid directly to the student around the first of the month following enrollment. This means students will receive payment for March enrollment around the first of April. Students are responsible for making payment arrangements with the MSU Business Office.

Failure to take care of tuition and fees may result in classes being voided, and you will no longer be registered for classes. Please contact the MSU Business Office to make payment arrangements or for information about payment deadlines. You can reach them at (940) 397-4101 or


Home Information Links
Return to Registrar Homepage - MSU Home