After submitting all required background documentation, the next step to utilize federal VA and/or Hazlewood benefits is to notify the MSU Office of Veterans Affairs that you wish to use your benefits. If you are using federal benefits only, you will do this by completing a Benefit Request Form (BRF). If you are using Hazlewood only, you will do this by completing a Hazlewood Application. If you utilize a federal benefit and Hazlewood, you must complete a BRF and a Hazlewood Application. You must submit a BRF and/or Hazlewood Application for each semester that you wish to use benefits. Please complete this form once you have registered for the semester.

You can find the Benefit Request Form and Hazlewood Application at:

We begin certifying benefits approximately 1-2 weeks before the first day of class. For Chapters 31, 33, and Hazlewood, you should see your benefits in your TouchNet account by the 12th class day of the semester. You are responsible for any remaining balance on your account. For all other VA benefits, you will receive a monthly stipend from the VA around the beginning of the month. The VA pays in arrears, so you must make payment arrangements with the MSU Business Office as you may not receive a VA stipend until the month after classes have already begun.

Below are some ineligible classes and fees. Please be aware that this is not a comprehensive list.

  • Developmental or remedial courses unless required based on TSI requirement
  • Courses not required for your degree program as outlined in the university catalog
  • Repeated courses unless required based on degree program
  • More than two physical activity courses
  • Out of state tuition (students are responsible for the difference between in and out of state tuition)
  • Various other fees, to include: Courseware fees and taxes, Housing/meal plans, Late registration fees, Payment plan fees 

Changes and Updates
If you add classes to your schedule on or after the first day of the semester and wish to use benefits toward the new classes, you must notify the MSU Office of Veterans Affairs. Failure to notify us could result in delays or underpayment of benefits. Notify us of schedule additions using our VA Class Schedule Additions form.

We will receive notice from the Office of the Registrar if you drop classes or withdraw from a semester. We will modify your VA certification, and the VA will determine if they will pay for dropped classes or withdrawn enrollment. If the VA chooses not to pay, you will be responsible for the corresponding tuition and fees.