Students in catalogs Fall 2016 and later will be using the Degree Works evaluation system.  Login to the MSU Portal and click on Degree Works on the left menu.  Also see Degree Works help page.

Students in catalogs prior to Fall 2016, will continue below with instructions using our former degree audit system in WebWorld.

What is a Degree Evaluation?

A degree evaluation is a computer-generated analysis that enables the student and his/her advisor to track the progress toward a degree. It does not replace advising by the advisors.

How do I run a Degree Evaluation?

Click here to be taken to instructions on How to Run a Degree Evaluation.

The evaluation says it is “not official” and that I must still apply for graduation. How do I do that?

You must complete the application for graduation and pay a $30.00 fee. These forms are available at the Office of the Registrar or online.

What can I do if I don’t understand the evaluation?

Click here to see the sample page with explanatory notes.  If you have further questions, please contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at

I took a science class at another college, but the evaluation did not use it. Why?

The class may not have transferred in as a core class. If you have a question about the evaluation, contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at

How do I know which catalog I should use?

Undergraduate students can use any catalog that has not expired under which you have earned 12 hours. Catalogs begin with the Fall term of the first year stated and end with the second summer term of the last year stated. For example, the 2014-2016 catalog is in effect from Fall 2014 through Summer II 2016.  Beginning with Fall 2016, MSU has a one-year catalog.  The 2016-2017 catalog is in effect from Fall 2016 through Summer II 2017.

Do catalogs have an expiration date?

Yes. All degrees under a catalog must be completed within 6 years of the middle year of the catalog. The 2012-2014 catalog expires on August 31, 2019 -- which is 6 years from 2013. Additionally, graduate course work has a time limit of 6 years to be used toward a degree.

What can I do if my original degree plan is under an expired catalog?

Undergraduate students must earn 12 hours under a current catalog. (i.e., 2016-2017 catalog -- earn credit from Fall 2016 through Summer 2017), and file a new degree plan. Graduate students must have attended during the time frame the catalog chosen was in effect and the catalog is not expired.

How will courses that have been substituted appear on the evaluation?

The course that has been substituted will automatically be used to fulfill the requirement specified, and you will see that course listed across from the requirement in the "Detail Requirements" section.

My advisor told me I could use a different course to meet a degree requirement, but the evaluation does not show it as completed.

Check with your advisor to be sure your department has sent a course substitution form to the Registrar’s Office.

The core course has been taken (and passed), but it is not pulling into the correct area. How do I get it to pull in?

It may be due to a missing attribute that needs to be coded, the way the area was built, or something unique to your program. Contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at

Are transferred-in courses used in the grade point average?

No, but if you transferred in with a grade point deficiency (less than 2.0), you would be responsible for making up those points at MSU.

I repeated a course last semester but it is still using the old one in my grade point average, why?

If a repeat is not coded for a prior semester, you should contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at

I attended MSU in l985, but my evaluation shows those courses outstanding. Did I lose that credit over time?

No, undergraduate credit earned is not lost. Credit earned before June l986, is on a hard-copy transcript in the Registrar’s Office and does not show on your computerized transcript. When your official evaluation is completed in the Registrar’s Office, after you have applied for graduation, these courses will be used as applicable. (Graduate courses do expire after 6 years, please check with your advisor if you have a question.)

Why do some evaluations not “work”?

Some degrees are so complex that they have not been coded into the degree evaluation system as of yet. You will need to go by the catalog requirements and your degree plan. Once you have filed for graduation with the Office of the Registrar, an official evaluation will be mailed to you.

What is “What If” on the online Degree Evaluation system?

The "What If" option allows you to select a new catalog or proposed major, minor, and/or concentration (other than your currently declared program) to see which requirements you have fulfilled. This option may also be used to generate an evaluation for a second major.

Does the evaluation include currently enrolled classes?

Yes. And if you run the evaluation for a future term in which you are already registered, it will include those classes as well.

How does the evaluation decide where to place courses completed?

It processes the courses by chronological term, based on a "best fit" scenario and the way the requirements are defined. It will look through each of the courses, and then assigns each course to the first requirement in the degree program that the course will fulfill.

Where are my developmental courses?

Developmental courses and extra physical activity courses do NOT count toward hours for graduation; the online Degree Evaluation system subtracts these from your totals. They are listed as excluded in the "Additional Information" section. If you have questions about this, please contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at

What happens to dropped, withdrawn, or failed courses?

Any course with a non-passing or incomplete grade, or a repeat of a course with a passing grade will appear in the "Additional Information" section.

What does "Catalog Term" mean?

"Catalog Term" is the term your requirements will be evaluated against.

What does "Evaluation Term" mean?

The term for which the degree evaluation was generated.

What is the "General Requirements" view option?

The General Requirements option shows the courses that were used toward your evaluation, but not what is still needed.

What is the "Detail Requirements" view option?

The Detail Requirements option shows the courses that were used toward your evaluation AND what is still needed. We recommend that you use this option.

What is the "Additional Information" view option?

The Additional Information option shows any courses that were excluded from your evaluation. Any course with a non-passing or incomplete grade will appear in the "Additional Information" section. A repeat of a course with a passing grade will also appear here; the newest course will show in "Additional Information" until the grade has been replaced. Some split courses will also show up here. It is a good idea to check this view to see if there are any courses that aren't pulling into the evaluation.

The major requires a concentration, it did not appear on the evaluation. What is wrong?

Either the concentration has not been declared yet, or the "What-If" evaluation was run without adding a concentration.

Why are some of the courses appearing in the wrong areas? What can I do to change this?

The evaluation does the best it can to fit your courses into appropriate areas. Sometimes there are multiple areas that a course could fit into and it will choose one. Unfortunately, it does not know where you meant the course to fit into your program. If you wish to change the placement of a course, contact the Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at to see if moving it is within accepted academic guidelines.

Some requirements have "or" & "and" next to them. What does this mean?

A requirement with an "or" next to it means that you can take the requirement it is listed next to or the one listed above it. A requirement with an "and" next to it means that you must take the requirement it is listed next to and the requirement above it.

Why does the printed evaluation not show all the last column on the screen?

You may need to adjust the default options in your browser. Internet Explorer - click on File/Page Setup and make your selections. Consult documentation if you use a different browser.

Some of my transfer courses do not match MSU course numbers. What do the numbers mean?

Transfer courses that do not have an exact MSU equivalent come in as electives. See examples below:
ACCT 10000 ACCT lower elective
BIOL 11000 BIOL lower core (the second digit 1 indicates core)
ENGL 11100 ENGL lower core literature (the third digit 1 indicates literature credit)
HIST 30000 HIST upper elective

If you wish to use one of these courses for a specific requirement, please contact your advisor.